lode leroy writes:
 > The thing is that for compiling gimp from cvs, you need quite some expertise
 > in the autotools, libtool, aclocal, pkg-config etc to fix those
 > not-100%-working-together- distributed binaries...

 > Would it be feasible to create a big zip-file that contains everything for
 > gimp for download?

It would be possible, but wouldn't such a zipfile just create open up
the possibility for even more confusion when there would then be yet
another distribution of these libs? (A long time ago I *did*
distribute self-built jpeg, tiff, zlib and whatnot, but stopped doing
that as there were other distributions, too, that were just as good,
or even more directly from the source, like zlib.)

--tml