On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:06:22 +0200, Simon Budig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Southwell ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > I suggest you treat gimpshop as an intermediate hack. Get the best out of
> > it
> > you can until someone is encouraged to dvevelop something more
> > sophisticated.
>
> That simply is impossible, since the "solutions" of Gimpshop are no
> solutions. I tried to explain that already, but you apparently do not
> understand the impact of changing strings in the sourcecode.
>
> The hacks of Gimpshop simply cannot be applied to the gimp, they are
> technically too bad. Sorry for the harsh words, but this is reality.

Just to clarify a bit...  The GIMP developers are not opposed to some
of the ideas included in Gimpshop, but are opposed to the way they are
implemented.

Some users would like an interface that is similar to Photoshop in the
terms that it uses and the menus that it offers.  That's fine.  Some
users prefer an interface in which all windows (images, tools, etc.)
are attached to a main window.  That's also fine.  If these options
are implemented correctly, they will be included in a future version
of GIMP and will be supported.

But as several developers have already pointed out, Gimpshop did it
wrong both from a technical perspective and from a social perspective.
Instead of using the existing infrastructure for replacing/translating
strings and for customizing menus, Gimpshop modifies the source code
directly and makes it very difficult to share code with the standard
GIMP (every upgrade requires a code re-write).  And instead of
discussing the best solutions and the best way to proceed together
with the GIMP developers, the author of Gimpshop refused to consider
the technical advice and decided to maintain a fork instead of an
add-on.

Gimpshop is different from GIMP because it is a fork of an older
version, it has some bugs that GIMP doesn't have, its menus are
different, etc.  It makes sense to have a separate mailing list for
discussing issues specific to that fork, in order to avoid confusing
GIMP users with advice that relates to a different program.

-Raphaël