On Thursday 12 July 2007, Manish Singh wrote:
> The GPL allows forks, but doesn't require the organization
> that was forked from to provide support to the fork.

True. However, I'm wondering if there's anyone here willing to
moderate such a list, & what it would coist to run such at
Berkeley?

The logic is that it would take such posts away from the main
list (which you're reading now) & really be helping people.
The downside is that it could be seen as supporting GimpShop
despite the developer's entire unwillingness to join this
community.

In answer to the second point, are are any other good, free
(yeah, yeah, I know) list servers in action that you'd
recommend someone independant started a support list on?

The idea behind that is to take the traffic away but still
be able to monitor it, so that despite said developer's
approach, good ideas could be captured for the benefit of
*both* packages. And, who knows, bad ideas might even get
a little slapping about before anyone implements them, so
establishing a precendent.

If enough people here think the idea's basically a winner,
I might ask Linux Australia to be a list host, with the
idea of inviting a few others here along as moderators.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia