On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 05:16:56AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Thursday 12 July 2007, Manish Singh wrote:
> > The GPL allows forks, but doesn't require the organization
> > that was forked from to provide support to the fork.
> True. However, I'm wondering if there's anyone here willing to
> moderate such a list, & what it would coist to run such at
> Berkeley?
> The logic is that it would take such posts away from the main
> list (which you're reading now) & really be helping people.
> The downside is that it could be seen as supporting GimpShop
> despite the developer's entire unwillingness to join this
> community.
> In answer to the second point, are are any other good, free
> (yeah, yeah, I know) list servers in action that you'd
> recommend someone independant started a support list on?
> The idea behind that is to take the traffic away but still
> be able to monitor it, so that despite said developer's
> approach, good ideas could be captured for the benefit of
> *both* packages. And, who knows, bad ideas might even get
> a little slapping about before anyone implements them, so
> establishing a precendent.
> If enough people here think the idea's basically a winner,
> I might ask Linux Australia to be a list host, with the
> idea of inviting a few others here along as moderators.

Why is this our problem? The initial response to the GimpShop question
was to ask the GimpShop people for support? How about everyone who likes
GimpShop to ask the guy who started it to have a mailing list or some
other support forum, and his own bug tracker? If he doesn't want to do
this, this is a gigantic reason *not* to use GimpShop.

Alternatively, the same people who like GimpShop could ask him why he
doesn't/didn't actually work contructively with the community.