I have always worked for the Outsourcerer-IBM (which is different than
working for "the real" IBM), so I might have some points to bring in:

- Best scenario I've worked was for a customer that kept 1 key-person for
each area (z/OS, DB2, etc.). This person would bring historical knowledge,
technical knowledge and sense of urgency depending on the situation. Weekly
checkpoint meetings kept the teams aligned with what the customer desired;

- SLAs MUST be carefully reviewed and agreed. Both sides could and WILL use
it "against" the other side. If SLA is met, then no problem, no matter
what's going on. Short-term contracts (3-5 years instead of 10-15 years)
allow for a better SLA adjustment down the road;

- There MUST be some sort of responsibility matrix with DETAILED activites
(generic activites like "maintain systems" are too broad). Just by looking
at this matrix, you should be able to tell: who's responsible for doing X?
who's to be informed about X? who should be consulted if doing X?;

- Outsourcers will probably request a lot of documentation (that in-house
companies probably don't even have). This is vital! Part of the issues that
might come could be avoided with a good documentation to start with;

- Projects (processor upgrade, OS upgrade, router replacements, etc.) will
most likely be treated like so (PROJECTS). Which means that probably a
Project Manager will have to be involved to make teams talk to each other.
Some overhead in these activities have to be considered;

There are good and there are bad people working on outsourcerers, but I
*guess* this is everywhere though, so no news.
Where I worked, people tend to "standardize" the systems the most they can
after transition has stabilized. This means the less exits, the better.
Keep in mind the outsourcerer might have many clients and when someone gets
called in the middle of the night it might be hard to remember the
peculiarities of one of them.
On the other hand teams are usually able to compare cross-customers
solutions and propose enhancements should they apply.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

*Lucas Rosalen*
Emails: rosalen.lu...@gmail.com / *lrosa...@pl.ibm.com