So this remains a contentious issue. IIRC, previous discussion tried to come up with a plan for specialized wikis in heritage languages. Does a community where the majority (or even *every* community member) no longer speaks the original language have a right to preserve it in WMF projects? I would like to see this happen, and nys:wp looks like a great prototype and pilot to me. Hundreds of Aboriginal, First Nation and Native American languages might follow suit. This also is part of the "sum of human knowledge" even if (for sociolinguistic and/or privacy reasons) it is not possible to compose continuous texts in those languages any longer.

Fwiw,
Oliver