On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 06:35:56PM -0500, Chris Devers wrote:
> I thought it had a purpose as a sort of control character for the phone companies,
>with any number beginning with a 0 or 1 having special meaning. I guess that special
>meaning evaporates under 10 digit schemes...

I think you're right, it used to switch in different routing circuitry
-- I was more commenting from a theoretical standpoint -- the only
'control character' number would be 0. Oh, and you could then use
the 1.. .... 'local' numbers too. That's another 10^8 phone numbers :)

My guess is a pretty hefty overhaul of the phone system... (Doubtless
UK's BT could offer some advice to pointedly ignore.)

> >PS That single-\n paragraph formatting is evil, IMO.
>
> Yeah I know, I don't like it either. Blame Eudora...

I'm used to doing that.

Paul, had to (indirectly) support Eudora in a 60k employee company.