sorry, was unclear. robert proposed a meta-certification body which then
gave the tests out to certifiers (netthink, iterative etc). this seems to
me to be far too complicated and fragmented.

i think you need a single organisation which plays the difficult balancing
act of:

        * being respected and trusted by the Perl community (there's no
          point if the Perl decision makers poo poo it)
        * has enough autonomy from the Perl community or transparency to
          not be perceived as a guild / closed shop (this accusation could
          be levelled very easily if the exam were perceived to be designed so that
          only an inner sanctum could possibly pass it)
        * has rich enough grading so that mere mortals can achieve some
          level of certification and gurus can also be recognised  - i
          think it is in everyone's interests if lots of new people pass PCSE
          at some level (i think there is a strong perception that Perl skills
          are hard to find)
        * being commercial - particularly focused on marketing the PCSE
          logo to training companies, logos and IT directors. I don't
          think a voluntary, well-meaning effort will achieve this.

alex