2008/7/30 Steve Litt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Wednesday 30 July 2008 08:21, killermike wrote:
>> The original question that starts is poorly conceived but this Slashdot
>> thread brings up quite a lot of references to LyX in the comments.
>>
>> http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/29/0039201
>
> Having read most of the responses, they can all be summed up thusly:
>
> LaTeX (and LyX) is a committment. If you put a lot into it, you get a lot out
> of it. If you put very little into it, you get less than zero out of it.
> LaTeX (and LyX) isn't for everyone. IMHO if you're only going to write one
> book, it's not worth learning LaTeX or LyX. For me, the payoff has come over
> multiple books.

Is LyX only good for writing books, then?

I am currently an OOo Writer user. I am always frustrated with styles
and I wish that I could just edit the source of the document like I
edit HTML. In fact, I have often considered just using HTML but it
does not translate well to PDF, and there is no good equations editing
capability.

I understood from the /. post that LyX would let me work with a
document, and edit the source where I see necessary. Is this not so?
Although I have invested in learning a bit of PHP, a bit of C, a bit
of HTML/CSS, etc, I don't have the resources at the moment to spend
more than a few hours learning a new tool. And full LaTeX will take
more than a few good hours :)

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com