On Wednesday 30 July 2008 11:24, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:

> >> Having read most of the responses, they can all be summed up thusly:
> >>
> >> LaTeX (and LyX) is a committment. If you put a lot into it, you get a
> >> lot out of it. If you put very little into it, you get less than zero
> >> out of it. LaTeX (and LyX) isn't for everyone. IMHO if you're only going
> >> to write one book, it's not worth learning LaTeX or LyX. For me, the
> >> payoff has come over multiple books.
> >
> > Is LyX only good for writing books, then?
>
> That is Steve's opinion :-)

It *is* more or less my opinion, but Dotan doesn't know that because I didn't
express that opinion in this thread -- you (Abdel) know it's my opinion from
other threads.

> I use LyX for all my writings: letters,

I admit using LyX for over 50% of all my letters -- all my letters to
senators, congressmen and the president.

> invoices,

I use plain text for my invoices, and pdfize them with enscript and ps2pdf.
Plain text is great because it will be readable 100 years from now. Certainly
TeX and LaTeX have similar advantages.

> articles,

For an article over 10,000 words, in which I didn't need to do special
formatting, I'd use LyX too. When I say "book", I also mean "long document".

> technical
> documents,

Again, a great application for LyX assuming the tech doc is over 10,000 words
long. Shorter docs are easier in quick and dirty OO.

> now also CV, etc.

I wouldn't use LyX for resumes. Fine-tuned layout is very important in
resumes, because they need to be 1 page or 2 pages, and aesthetically
pleasing. A resume is much more like an advertisement than like an article.
In advertisements, putting this block of text just in this place with that
font is essential. IMHO the tool to use for resumes is OO Writer or MS Word
or even Inkscape or Gimp, but not LyX, LaTeX or TeX.

> > I am currently an OOo Writer user. I am always frustrated with styles
> > and I wish that I could just edit the source of the document like I
> > edit HTML. In fact, I have often considered just using HTML but it
> > does not translate well to PDF, and there is no good equations editing
> > capability.
> >
> > I understood from the /. post that LyX would let me work with a
> > document, and edit the source where I see necessary. Is this not so?
>
> Yes, this is possible but not really recommended. Although power user
> like Steeve do it. A better alternative to editing .lyx format is the
> ability to insert raw LateX directly from the LyX window.

I see inserting raw LaTeX and tweaking native LyX files as two completely
different techniques optimized for completely different activities. Here are
some of the things I do by creating or tweaking native LyX:

1) "Personalize" (watermark) Ebooks
2) VimOutliner to LyX conversion
3) In my courseware's Instructor Notes, correspond courseware slide numbers to
the Instructor Note sections. Of course, this could probably have been done
better with a custom environment with its own counter, but 5 years ago I
didn't know enough LaTeX to do that, so I "cheated" and used template tokens
within my LyX file. This brings up the important point that editing native
LyX can often give you a quick and dirty solution if you don't have time to
learn the proper LaTeX now, but you need the document now.
4) Troubleshoot LyX compilation or appearance issues.

> > Although I have invested in learning a bit of PHP, a bit of C, a bit
> > of HTML/CSS, etc, I don't have the resources at the moment to spend
> > more than a few hours learning a new tool. And full LaTeX will take
> > more than a few good hours :)
>
> I've been a LyX user for more than 10 years and I never took the time to
> learn LateX :-)

Abdel -- when you need to get an environment's appearance "just so", how do
you do it without LaTeX? How do you make new environments?

I think I know. There are people who know hundreds of LaTeX packages and what
they do, so they can accomplish any kind of look just by including an
additional package and using it correctly. Abdel -- is that how you get the
look you want without being a LaTeX expert?

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US