On Wednesday 30 July 2008 16:42, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 July 2008 11:24, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> >> technical
> >> documents,
> >
> > Again, a great application for LyX assuming the tech doc is over 10,000
> > words long. Shorter docs are easier in quick and dirty OO.
>
> I beg to differ, quite strongly. The moment you write something else
> than text (e.g. math). You just can't beat LyX.

You're right. Math is best with a TeX based program.

> Oh and I also use LyX for taking note when I am at a conference or in a
> meeting. I am so used to LyX typing that my notes look nice and well
> structured from the very beginning, nicer than if I hand-write them :-)

As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY product with which to take notes is
VimOutliner. It's by far the fastest way to get information from your brain
to file.

[clip]

> >> I've been a LyX user for more than 10 years and I never took the time to
> >> learn LateX :-)
> >
> > Abdel -- when you need to get an environment's appearance "just so", how
> > do you do it without LaTeX? How do you make new environments?
>
> I don't :-) I almost never have strong idea of what appearance should be.
>
> > I think I know. There are people who know hundreds of LaTeX packages and
> > what they do, so they can accomplish any kind of look just by including
> > an additional package and using it correctly. Abdel -- is that how you
> > get the look you want without being a LaTeX expert?
>
> Not really. OK, I know more or less my way around some packages but the
> real answer is that I am pretty satisfied with LyX official document
> classes. _I_ don't feel the need to tweak them. The bigger tweaking I do
> is adding vertical space, horizontal space or page break, that's all. I
> also do use characters style now (the 1.6 incarnation of it).

This is a huge distinction that should be understood by everyone.

If one is happy with the styles bestowed by the combination of a standard
LaTeX class and LyX, then LyX is nothing short of a totally robust, perfectly
typesetting, trivial to use wordprocessor. ALL the work has been done by
Knuth, Lamport, package designers, document class designers, and the LyX
developers. It's by far the most productive way to write. If one is satisfied
with the LyX provided styles, the only rational decision is to use LyX.

If one requires significant additional styles, the situation is not so clear.
There have been times when I had to work a whole day to make a single style.
This is not because I'm stupid or because LyX is difficult, but because of
the nature of LaTeX. Also, there are certain layout looks that I'm not
capable of creating in LyX, no matter how much time I devote. That could NOT
have been said of WordPerfect 5.1, with which I could make absolutely any
style appearance.

So with people like me, it boils down to a tradeoff between LyX's robust, easy
and aesthetically pleasing authoring, and LyX's difficult and time consuming
style authoring. For me, that tradeoff falls well on the side of LyX being
productive.

I think everyone should understand that when you hear one person say LyX is
trivially easy to use, and another saying it's very difficult, the difference
is usually a difference in their need for specialized styles.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US