On 31/08/18 16:19, Condit Alan wrote:
Schooner,

So I am trying to build a Machinekit system on Stretch. But I sort of expected that the configs that were released on the Stretch image would at least load

There is a basic lack of understanding of the process here

The image is nothing to do with machinekit, it is released by RCN who is an authority on BBB and all things ARM, but he just builds, or installs the packages, for the current Machinekit.

The configs were written or adapted by people using Xenomai on Wheezy most likely.

Doubtless many people have adapted them to run on rt-preempt and Stretch, but no-one has submitted working configs for inclusion in the repo, so they are not there.

I personally do not have a BBB and have no interest in running an under-powered board to do what a proper computer and a FPGA board will do much better,
so these updates won't come from me.

— not that they would do what I want to do. So far I haven’t found a single config that uses .hal on Stretch that will even load. That is why I am looking for help and that is why I am trying to post what I find. To help those who follow.

If you stick with one config that best matches your hardware and follow the guidelines in reporting problems in a post
http://www.machinekit.io/docs/getting-help/
we should be able to help you.

When you switch debugging on, the messages  in the linuxcnc.log and/or dmesg will generally pinpoint the source of the problem.

If someone has a working config for Stretch that uses both .ini and .hal, I would love to see it. I really thought that there would be a working config for the CRAMPS board since Charles developed that but no luck there either.

Thanks,
Alan