I thought you had sons.
Once I started driving my dad hardly ever drove anywhere. If we'd had an SDL
he'd have been in back sleeping...
-Curt

      From: Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Okie Benz <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com>
 Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:20 AM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300SDL?

Yeah, I need to get more information from him so I can get an idea of condition.

I saw the car briefly when I picked up the S420, but since it wasn’t on my
radar at the time I didn’t really look at it closely.

He’ll have a boatload of stuff he’s done to it, no doubt, just as he did with
his other cars.  Fortunately, he takes the time to research his cars in detail
and then targets the areas that are known to be problematic.

To give you an idea, he bought a 1998 S420 two years ago from the original
owner with 102,000 on the clock. Dealer maintained, all service records, etc.
Here’s a list of what he’s done since he bought it:

New (old) MB metal cam oilers/valve cover gaskets. And since we were in there
replaced: timing chain guides/rails
New Michelins
New brake pads/rotors (Brembo ceramics all the way around, Brembo rotors on
front & ATE on rear)
B Service at 120,000 miles
Serviced transmission and replaced differential fluid
Painted front & rear bumpers along with bottom plastic rocker panels simply for
a “refresh”.
ProgRama Inc Rebuilt Vac pump (under rear seat)
Replaced both seat bladders
Replaced passenger side window regulator
Replaced horn
New battery from MB
Replaced child seat sensor in passenger seat
Replaced rear sway bar links/bushings
Applied 3M invisible protection to both headlamps
Replaced front shocks with Sachs Boge along with sway bar bushings/links

He said the only thing it needs at this point are upper control arms and ball
joints, he thinks.  He said he noticed some cracks in the rubber bits.

He’s asking $6800 for it, which might be a little on the high side, but not
much considering it’s so well sorted out.  A really nice car for someone that
wants a nice W140 that’s been well cared for and has minimal or no issues.

I asked him to give me the rundown on the SDL.  I’ll post it here when I get it
for further inspection.

The sort of sad thing abut having a long wheelbase car like this is that you
never get to ride in back….

Dan