justin joseph wrote:
> In malayalam free software is refered to as "Swathantra" software, the
> word mukhti is there in
> malayalam too.  I am assuming(maybe wrong) that these words might have
> similar meanings considering
> that they are of sanskrit origin(both words), but never heard
> reference to "mukhti" software.
>
> Malayalam translators might furthur explain.
>
> What is free software in Tamil?

If I speak the same talk in say Telugu, I would use "Swatantra" and not
"Mukti" for the following reason:  Freedom Movement is not only
translated but also used as Swatantra udhyamam, we dont say mukta
udhyamam.  It is very important to relate free software movement
historically to swatantra udhyamam that took place and going to
takeplace at various places all over the world.   This is my most
compelling reason for using the term "swatantram" in place of "Mukta" or
"Mukti".

Sometimes, to say that we are talking of freedom and not gratis, I use
mukta for fun as well as pun: "we are talking about mukta software and
not mufta software".

>From language to language and culture to culture we may need to use some
other words.  E.g., Bengalis may prefer to use the term "ajaadi
software" than "swatantra software".

--
GN