--- On Fri, 19/12/08, Robert Osfield <robert.osfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Robert Osfield <robert.osfi...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [osg-users] Build error on MAc OSX 10.4 and OSG 2.7.4
> To: osg_u...@yahoo.co.uk, "OpenSceneGraph Users"
> <osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org>
> Date: Friday, 19 December, 2008, 8:46 AM
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Paul Fotheringham
> <osg_u...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > Thanks for looking into this.
> >
> > --- On Thu, 18/12/08, Robert Osfield
> <robert.osfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> The core OSG library does link against the
> MATH_LIBRARY,
> >> but the other
> >> non of the other core libraries do.
> >
> > Apparently not on MacOSX using cmake :)
>
> Please read what I've already written.  I've been
> using Cmake under
> OSX as others have been as well, without problems.

I've already explained not once, but twice now, why that is.

> > Take a look at
> >
> > src/osgText/CMakeFiles/osgText.dir/link.txt
> >
> > without the change you just made. In fact take a look
> at any of the link.txt files for each OSG library. Thay all
> have /usr/lib/libm.dylib in there.
> >
> >> I've added a entry of
> >> MATH_LIBRARY into the linking of osgText.  Could
> you do an
> >> svn update
> >> and see if the error is fixed?
> >
> > I got the svn version and no it doesn't fix it.
> All it does is move the
> >
> > /usr/lib/libm.dylib
> >
> > reference on the link line to a different place!
> >
> >> The fact you've got errors but others under
> OSX
> >> haven't reported this
> >> (including myself) suggests that must be something
> else
> >> going w.r.t
> >> gcc/SDK's you are using on your machine.
> >
> > I'm sorry I haven't explained this well
> enough. The goal here is to *not* have any explicit
> reference to libm.dylib on the link line.
> >
> > The symbols reside in the SDK version of the library
> at
> >
> > /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/lib/libm.dylib
> >
> > and *not* necessarily at
> >
> > /usr/lib/libm.dylib
> >
> > which is what the MATH_LIBRARY is set to. This is fine
> for UNIX but not Mac as it should be the former that is used
> for a consistent build (if there are Mac developers out
> there who disagree please correct me - I'm new to this).
> >
> > By omitting the explicit reference to libm.dylib the
> Mac build system takes care of this automatically and gets
> the symbols from the SDK version of the library.
> >
> > Users who are not seeing this problem have all the
> symbols they require in /usr/lib/libm.dylib and are, as I
> understand it, lucky ;)
>
> I'll will check what value is used on the OSX box that
> I was remote
> compiling on.
>
> Could you please remove the MATH_LIBRARY entry in the
> src/osg/CMakeLists.txt and src/osgText/CMakeLists.txt to
> test your
> theory about not needing it.

I agree that only libosg needs it. osgText only needs it indirectly. If I
remove the MATH_LIBRARY entry from src/osgText/CMakeLists.txt then
/usr/lib/libm.dylib still apears in the link line. To be more precise, it
appears in src/osgText/CMakeFiles/osgDB.dir/link.txt which, with my limited
knowledge of cmake, is what I assume it uses to perform the link.

As I implied in my first post, all these references to /usr/lib/libm.dylib on
the link lines seem to come from the FIND_LIBRARY(MATH_LIBRARY m) line in the
top-level CMakeLists.txt as they all go away if I remove that.

> Robert.

Paul