At 01:16 10/7/2001, Thies C. Arntzen wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 11:41:36PM +0300, Andi Gutmans wrote:
> > Anyway, I think right now the easiest thing for us to do is to move to
> re2c
> > without your sources (it should be relatively trivial as it's just a
>
>     this is pretty much what opensource tries to avoid - please
>     reconsider this and ask yourself why you would have to do it
>     and why it would be a very bad sign to the opensource
>     community to actually do it (you reimplementing what sascha
>     has ready).

Actually, many opensource projects, especially the GPL which you like a
lot, encourages this strongly.  It's no coincidence that there are BSD
clones for many GPL'd libraries.

>     doing this would be a very strong sign saying: "we only
>     accept enchancements to Zend if they are under the Zend QPL"
>     that would make me bitter to say the least.

Perception, perception.  The GPL plague, which would have said exactly the
same thing and is identical to the QPL plague in that sense, would have
made you feel better.  Sad, but true.
Effectively, if we were to do what MySQL does with the GPL today, we'd have
to have Sascha write up his copyright to us, which is much worse than what
the QPL does (where Sascha retains copyright).  But I already said it so
many times in the last 4 days.

I feel that the pressure for adding this scanner right now is undue,
because it is *NOT* urgent, and it's not possible to add it in right now in
the right way.  Adding it in a backwards way is wrong.  Nothing would
happen if we all just step back and wait for a while.

>     i hate to repeat myself but: licenses do matter.

Sascha *made* the license matter.  Friendship and collaboration matter even
more, and if Sascha was a bit more practical and a bit less strict about
this, we could have had this solved on the spot.  Sascha can have his patch
available, and as I said, we won't be coming after him for QPLing his
scanner.  Sascha is apparently, however, in the point-making business right
now.

Zeev