At 09:11 AM 2/8/01 -0600, John Lemburg wrote:

>Don't use (*) asterisk as a suffix for negativity.  Use the tilde (~).
>Instead, use the (*) asterisk as an AND operator in complex symbols, e.g.,
>SEND * RESET~   In the same way, the (+) plus sign is the OR operator and
>"(+)" including the parentheses is the EX-OR operator.

That certainly makes sense, however, in practice I have never received a
schematic with AND or OR operators in the signal names, and many
engineers,for many, many years, have used an asterisk after the name to
indicate negation. like R/W*, i.e., 1= READ and 0 = WRITE.

And convention would have the asterisk follow the name.

I'm not 100% certain but I don't think I've ever seen, here in the U.S., a
tilde. That doesn't mean that it isn't common, it just hasn't crossed my
virtual desk.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690