DS> what do you mean by 'assertion error' ?
Sorry,  I should have said "Access Violation" here.

For Example,  here is the PCB Wizard bug:
 Create a new PCB using the PCB wizard.

 Set Boundary layer,  in the first dialog box  to: None

 Pick all remaining defaults in all the remaining dialog boxes.  (just say
 next, continue, or finish till you get a PCB,  or an error...)

 I get an access violation at 004FE1C8 in CSRTL.DPL,  exception occurred in
 ClientCreateNewDocument,  when I do this.

 Yes,  doing this was probably silly.  (I was attempting to reduce the
 number of objects that might have shown up later in a DXF file,  at the
 time I discovered this.)

DS> i do the board copy and paste frequently
DS> once or twice it did go to lala land on the selection stage but it works
DS> 99% for me
In my case,  it appeared to do the copy,  but it generated an Access
Violation in the process.
I was trying to copy and paste from the current PCB document,  into a
New PCB document to generate a new rev of the (same) PCB design,  at the
time.

DS> when you say writing it out as orcad format, what exactly do you mean?
When you do "save copy as",  there is a pull down menu in the dialog
boxes for the file format the file is to be saved in,  one of the options
here is Orcad.  (others are EDIF,  and different versions of Protel,  and a few
others)

DS> it won't write dsn files, do you mean SDT format ?
Not sure as I don't have or use Orcad.  I was just trying to write out
some kind of an Orcad file,  that an Orcad user could later read in.
btw: I have since discovered Cadence/Orcad has an EDIF I/O add on utility
to Orcad CIS up on their web site. I haven't tried this possible path from
Protel to Orcad yet.  It might be a way.

DS> and that save copy as of a schem then trashed the DDB ?
Yes,  it's repeatable,  I've done it at least twice now.