well, all that notwithstanding there are official numbers on such
matters
inflation index, consumer price index, and others

they are all VERY low for many many years now (knock on wood),
on the order a few percent

remember the jimmy carter years?

software has yet to find it's real price model, it will take quite a
while as the value portion is ephemeral

another relevant issue here is that pcb designers are not exactly an
exploding market, there only needs to be so many of us and most
everybody already has some software

i think the time use model is a future certainty, UCITA already allows
remote disabling of users software more or less at the vendor's will

http://www.matrixlist.com/pipermail/leaplist/2000-March/003758.html

solidworks has a pretty strong maintenance program, they guarantee
something like 5 service packs a year which include enhancements as well
as bug fixes
they also allow stepping back so that a new SP which introduces new
'issues' (love that word) can be easily rolled back to the prior one

if you let the maintenance ($1500/yr) expire then for a 100 bucks
penalty (plus of course the $1500) you can reinstate the remaining
portion of the year or for a $500 penalty you can reset the yearly clock

they've got their revenue stream wired and (or is BUT ?? ) they have a
great product
this is all done through networks of local dealers who have people who
actually know stuff and sell training

i don't know if the dealers or anyone makes any real money at any of
this but it seems that they might

i think what protel really ought to do (seriously now) is open up a
little service bureau and put one their people in it so that they can
deal with and learn all of the real world requirements first hand

Dennis Saputelli

Tony Karavidas wrote:

> The personal electronics industry is a freak among industries. You must
> agree with that?
>
> Even in your example lies cable modem service that has gone up and up. Tell
> me why? They say it's because it reflects the value of our service.' BS,
> it's because DSL went up and cable can go up to because there is no reason
> to hold it down.
>
> How about gasoline? In California, they told us a few years ago the gas
> price was going to climb because of the expense of processing in the MTBE
> additive. Now they find out MTBE sucks, and it's going to cost more again to
> take it out! Why can't they just make the old gas, and give us the old
> pre-MTBE price? Because the market will bear it and the gov't won't step in
> to pull back the reigns.
>
> You see no excuse, but capitalism allows it to happen. Maybe if Castro was
> running the EDA s/w industry we'll all be using expresspcb and liking it.

* Tracking #: C29DA57D50616A4297F1A5B6401843209A7861E6