I just visited the Altium website and can't seem to find any information on
ATS costs or what the penalties will be if it is not continued.  What I have
concluded from posts here and sources at Protel, the current upgrade cost of
$1995.00 and future ATS cost of $1495.00 per year, is that the penalty would
seem to be $500.00.  It also seems that all P99SE licenses purchased prior
to October 1st, 2001 are being assessed this penalty as they weren't
automatically converted into the ATS program.  The following is what I read
on Altium's website:

-----------------
Current Protel 99 SE Customers: All Protel 99 SE customers who have
purchased prior to October 1st, 2001 will continue to receive technical
support, libraries, and any new service packs and add-ons for Protel 99 SE
as part of their license. ATS membership cannot be purchased on existing
Protel 99 SE licenses.
-----------------

I think I understand this now.  Not happy about it, but I think my
assumptions are correct.

While I don't like ATS, it would certainly be easier to see a value in it if
DXP would have been the revolutionary change Altium was claiming.   While
there are several interface changes and several new features (several
omitted features too), basically it is still the same software just
repackaged with a new interface.  I guess one could argue that the
multi-channel capability is a major improvement, but from I have been
reading in PEDA posts, it is still quite buggy and not ready for prime-time.
I have looked at Situs and I do not see the revolutionary improvement there
either.  Hopefully someone who can take more time to put it to the task will
prove me wrong.  I am finding it hard to see what value ATS will bring that
we didn't have before.  Just a major price increase is all I can see at the
moment concerning PCB and SCH.

Rob