On 10:19 AM 9/10/2002 +1100, Thomas said:
>Sometimes that's just not possible though.
>I've recently finished a double sided PCB with allot of controlled impedance
>tracks on one side widely spaced to prevent xtalk and to prevent arcing (its
>a surge protection device) with a solid ground plane on the other side.
>
>My board house has not complained (yet).
>
>Tom.

Even on such a board there are often things that can be done to help even
copper distribution.  In areas widely spaced from the active tracks you can
place copper balancing squares or even a hatched polygon.

When I fully specify a production panel (break offs, tooling strips etc) I
will usually say the that the production tooling is uncontrolled space and
the board house is free to add copper balancing features.  Some will, some
won't.  Those that do usually add squares along the tooling strip.

I have not had a board house complain for years about unbalanced copper
density, but I have had some thank me for making an effort to balance the
copper.

Ian Wilson