> If you really want to run Win32 programs under Linux, try VmWare!  I have
it
> on 2 machines, using Win2000 Pro as the "guest" OS, and use P99SE,
> Xilinx Ise
> and Bobcad (mechanical CAD/CAM) on it, and it is as flawless as Win2K will
> allow it to be.  VmWare is not free, but it is quite reasonable for the
> desktop
> version.

Yeah, I know about VmWare.  It's not what I'm looking for.  With VmWare, you
still need a licensed copy of Windows for the "guest OS" on the Linux "host
OS" box.  I want to avoid needing Windows completely in the future.
Unfortunately, the UPS Worldship software we use requires Windows.  We had
to upgrade to the latest UPS software a few months ago.  Had to replace the
whole darn PC.  The "MS shuffle" went something like this:

1) Old UPS software (2.0) runs on an old Frankenstein junk Pentium box and
old unused license of W95.  Slow, but $0, so I am happy.
2) UPS requires customers to upgrade to Worldship 5.0 or their accounts will
quit working in 60 days.
3) 5.0 no longer supports W95, must use W98 or later.
4) Frankenstein will run W98, but doesn't have enough RAM (32MB) for the UPS
5.0.  I bump Frankie up to 96MB, but he flakes out intermittently.  And yes,
I am using the right kind of suture and neck bolts ;-)
5) Frankie must be retired.  I build a new PC from one of the Via mini-itx
boards left over from a cancelled project.
6) Installed Red Hat 8.0 on the Via box.  RH is slow on the Via, but it
works.
7) Installed Wine on the Via box.
8) Tried to install UPS 5.0 under Wine.  Installer complains that I must use
Win98 or later.
9) Download Wine user's guide.  Find the Wine environment variable that
tells what version of Windows it emulated.  Set it to Win98.
10) Tried to install UPS 5.0 again.  Installer complains that no network
stack is present.
11) Find in Wine guide where you tell it to map network services for
Windows, edit the config file.
12) Tried to install UPS 5.0 again.  This time it appears to get through the
installation.
13) Try to run UPS 5.0.  It crashes upon startup.  No clue why.
14) Give up, scrounge around, don't find any W98 licenses that are unused.
15) Grab an unused W98 license from home and bring it into office, put it on
the Via box.
16) Install UPS 5.0 under W98 and it works.

That's the "MS shuffle"!

Note:  I am not against MS in principle.  If I could buy a full version of
W98 or 2K for $39, I'd do it.  But $299 is just too much for software that
should be priced as a commodity.

Another note:  W9X are now "lite" OS's.  Current Linux versions are big and
slow by comparison.  It pains me to say that, but it's true.  W98 runs
snappy on that 500 MHz Via, but RH 8.0 was slooow.  W2K ran OK (slower than
W98, but faster than RH 8.0) on the Via in a test I did months ago.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com