On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:44:09 -0500, Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:
> Of course, the problem for commercial software (such as Protel) is that if
> it evolves to point of being bug-free, there is very little incentive to
> upgrade, and the business model dries up.

That's when you put your software engineers to work writing converters
for all your competitor's databases and going after market share! ;-)

You can be a *real* marketing force when armed with stable, bug-free
software, discount pricing specials for users of competitors tools and
the converters to make the switch as painless as possible. Protel
actually converted me from Orcad/Tango because they could import my
existing schematic and PCB designs, plus I was a disgruntled Orcad user
and they offered me a relatively painless and inexpensive way to switch.

> So what do I use for backup software?  A removable hard drive mapped as a
> network drive, and the XCOPY command.  Advantages:  it's way faster,
> cheaper, and more reliable than tape, it's free, and files are stored in
> non-encrypted, non-compacted FAT32 form that can be easily read by Win9X or
> later and Linux.  Disadvantages:   manual intervention required to match
> partitions on network drives to partitions on the removable hard drive, not
> good for incremental backups, only complete backups.

Wow, this is one area I've searched the world for also. I use
Novastor's Novaback software with a removable hard drive now for my
workgroup network. It works reasonably well with scheduled backups
(full and incremental) for my small (6) workstation network. I also
have recently tried Dantz Retrospect backup software. It's extremely
capable and reasonably inexpensive (about $85), but it's not nearly as
easy to configure and use as Novaback. Typical "enterprise" software
scaled down to the workgroup/desktop level. Unfortunately, I think you
need to be some sort of IT wonk to setup and use it.

Yes, the world needs a good, reliable and inexpensive backup software
package. I honestly think this is why so many people never backup -- if
it's not an automated process, reliable and easy to setup no one will
bother.

> Haven't tried Eudora since 1998.  Kinda hard to get excited about an e-mail
> client that I have to pay for, when there exist free ones.  If I could be
> assured that Eudora would do what I want and be non-buggy, I might spring
> $29 for it.  Otherwise, no.

FWIW, I have been using Pocomail for over 3 years now and have never
had it eat an email on me. I do know others have reported it, but I've
not personally seen it on any of my systems or any of my friends that
also use it. I would say I get a heavy amount of email, probably
300/day or so on average so I'm working with pretty large mailboxes
most of the time. I used Pegasus mail before that and gave up when the
author said he was done supporting it. Of course about a year after I
switched to Pocomail, he decided to update it and continue development.
Go figure. I don't think there is a single email client that can
satisfy everyone, seems everyone has different expectations.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you too Ivan and everyone else on the list.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems