> MS internet tools may be the primary targets of hackers, but all software
> I've used stinks and could be targets if people get mad enough.

Yeah, I can't think of ANY company that has done more to piss people off
than Microsoft.  They have made few friends and many enemies over the past
20 years.  The only people that still seem to like MS are advertising,
marketing, and technology pundits.  Everyone else is screaming for Bill
Gates' and Steve Ballmer's heads on a silver platter.

I can't use Mozilla e-mail client because I need to import a lot of Outlook
Express messages into it, and Mozilla always crashes when trying to import
thousands of e-mails from OE.  Evidently, they never tested Mozilla e-mail
with a huge (300+ MB) OE mailbox, or they would know about the crashing.
And trying to report a bug in Mozilla is too hard, they have that Bugzilla
reporting system that requires you to look to see if the bug has already
been reported, and if not, register and/or fill in a huge amount of info in
a web form that you have to spend a lot of time understanding what they are
asking for.  Maybe Bugzilla is easier to use now, but it wasn't when I was
trying it about a year ago.  Oh well, you know about free software - it's
guaranteed to be worth at least as much as you paid for it!  And I do like
Mozilla browser.

Of course, the problem for commercial software (such as Protel) is that if
it evolves to point of being bug-free, there is very little incentive to
upgrade, and the business model dries up.  Open source software can afford
to evolve to a bug-free state, because it doesn't have to justify it's
existence to the maintenance of a business model.  It's good that many
people are starting to realize the sinister nature of the software business,
and getting off the crazy train of coerced upgrades to perpetually flawed
software products.  The biggest problem I see with this change is that
software suppliers still don't seem to recognize that there is a big niche
between the mega-expensive products they are pushing and the free software.
And they aren't filling that niche.  For example, there used to exist low
cost backup software (i.e. Backup Exec).  But now, as I search for low cost
backup software, I find nothing.  There are free open source projects and
methods, but I don't have the time to find them, compile them, figure out
how they work, etc.  I love Linux, but it's a full time job just keeping up
with it and finding the stuff you need.  If I want to pay nearly $1000 and
up, I can buy the product that Backup Exec has morphed into.  I guess what
has happened over the years is that the cottage industry that produced low
cost software in the late 80's has been swallowed up by giant companies, who
have taken the products and "gentrified" them into expensive, "enterprise
solutions".  Phooey on that!  1989 called, it wants it's cottage industry
software business models back!

So what do I use for backup software?  A removable hard drive mapped as a
network drive, and the XCOPY command.  Advantages:  it's way faster,
cheaper, and more reliable than tape, it's free, and files are stored in
non-encrypted, non-compacted FAT32 form that can be easily read by Win9X or
later and Linux.  Disadvantages:   manual intervention required to match
partitions on network drives to partitions on the removable hard drive, not
good for incremental backups, only complete backups.

Haven't tried Eudora since 1998.  Kinda hard to get excited about an e-mail
client that I have to pay for, when there exist free ones.  If I could be
assured that Eudora would do what I want and be non-buggy, I might spring
$29 for it.  Otherwise, no.

Happy New Year, may 2004 be good to us, and may we be good to 2004 !

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com