> I'm glad to hear someone has had good luck with ASUS.  Some time ago I
went
> through several ASUS 400MHz CUSL2 motherboards, different CPUs, different
> brands of memory, different power supplies, and everything else to try to
> stop random crashes.  It wasn't just with Protel either.  I finally ended

You say some time ago.  Would that be maybe a year or two?  There was a rash
of bad mobos from various manufacturers (Asus was one of them) at that time,
due to substandard electrolytic capacitors used in the power supply sections
of the board.  It was quite a scandal at the time.  Article here:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

I replaced an ECS mobo in my stepbrother's PC last year because of this.  At
least, that's what I think the cause was.  All the other pieces of the PC
were salvaged (including the Athlon CPU and RAM) and the new mobo works
great.  I put the old mobo in another PC for further testing and it was
still flaky.  Problem solved.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.