> I take the SPDIF output from the SB Live and run it into the digital input
> of my Yamaha receiver.  So it's a digital connection.  The noise I hear
must
> be something added by the SB Live circuitry itself.  Either the SB Live
> on-board signal is converted to analog and back to digital, or the SB Live
> DSP doesn't have enough precision.

Could be sampler noise from an enabled line in.  IE, PC speaker input, Line
in, CD audio in.  I have not analyzed SB live in detail because it is unable
to play audio without adding pops / clicks in general.

Though analog devices AD1985 can be set up to create no noise at all, it is
missing the ability to do true DSD.  Can't blame them though, there is no
standard yet for digitally passing DSD and this is why I had to create my
own USB2.0 true DSD sound card and portable flash card player.

> Mine's not a 5.1, it's just stereo.  I don't care for 5.1 sound for music.
> I'm not opposed to it for movies, but placing 2 speakers properly is tough
> enough.  Who can place 6 speakers properly?  Houses aren't designed for
> audiophiles, you know...

2 speakers is the way I like it as well.

_____________
Brian Guralnick

> > Just do what I did, soldier hugely shielded RCA cables right by the
sound
> > chip.  The sound clearly ouperforms SBLive 5.1 and earlier.  DVDs will
> play
> > all 6 channels at 24bit, 96KHz.
>
> I take the SPDIF output from the SB Live and run it into the digital input
> of my Yamaha receiver.  So it's a digital connection.  The noise I hear
must
> be something added by the SB Live circuitry itself.  Either the SB Live
> on-board signal is converted to analog and back to digital, or the SB Live
> DSP doesn't have enough precision.
>
> Mine's not a 5.1, it's just stereo.  I don't care for 5.1 sound for music.
> I'm not opposed to it for movies, but placing 2 speakers properly is tough
> enough.  Who can place 6 speakers properly?  Houses aren't designed for
> audiophiles, you know...
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan Baggett
> Bagotronix Inc.