> Could be sampler noise from an enabled line in.  IE, PC speaker input,
Line
> in, CD audio in.  I have not analyzed SB live in detail because it is
unable
> to play audio without adding pops / clicks in general.

You could be right, I didn't think about that.  I'll have to check the SB
Live mixer settings to see if the various analog inputs are enabled during
playback.  As to the pops/clicks, I don't have a problem with them.  Audio
PC is ye olde Celeron 466, 128MB RAM, Win98SE, in another room, linked to
receiver via SPDIF over unused CAT5 pair using a special adapter I designed
(optoisolated RS422 <-> SPDIF converter).  Oh yeah, the optoisolation was
necessary, otherwise every time you flip a light switch or the A/C turns on,
the audio would drop out momentarily.

> Though analog devices AD1985 can be set up to create no noise at all, it
is
> missing the ability to do true DSD.  Can't blame them though, there is no
> standard yet for digitally passing DSD and this is why I had to create my
> own USB2.0 true DSD sound card and portable flash card player.

Brian, you got any links to pictures of those gizmos?  I'd like to see what
you came up with.

BTW, I know I should take this topic to the OT forum.  However, I have never
seen any activity on that forum.  And I have tried to sign up for it 2 or 3
times in the past, but never seem to be able to get on it.  I think I did
the sign-up procedure correctly, I just never get any traffic from it.  Does
anyone here actively engage the OT forum, and how much activity is there?

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com

> > I take the SPDIF output from the SB Live and run it into the digital
input
> > of my Yamaha receiver.  So it's a digital connection.  The noise I hear
> must
> > be something added by the SB Live circuitry itself.  Either the SB Live
> > on-board signal is converted to analog and back to digital, or the SB
Live