On Thursday, 29 September 2016 01:48:28 UTC+10, Foppe de Haan  wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 10:06:13 AM UTC+2, Drew White wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 17:47:01 UTC+10, Foppe de Haan  wrote:
> > > On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:20:29 AM UTC+2, Drew White wrote:
> > > > Hi Devs,
> > > > 
> > > > I would like to know from a dev what the requirements are for Qubes 
> > > > Windows Tools (QWT).
> > > > 
> > > > All O/S reference are known to be x86_64.
> > > > 
> > > > Does QWT require any specific version of Windows 7?
> > > > Or will they work with all versions of Windows 7?
> > > covered here: all.
> > > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-tools-3/
> > 
> > Doesn't even BEGIN to answer the question.
> >
> Assertions really aren't very useful unless accompanied by reasons.

True, but he wasn't a dev, so I saw no reason to give more information.


> > 
> > 
> > > > 
> > > > Why does QWT require TESTSIGNING to be turned on?
> > > > Is that because Win7 requires things to be signed?
> > > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-appvms/
> > > "Before proceeding with the installation we need to disable Windows 
> > > mechanism that allows only signed drivers to be installed, because 
> > > currently (beta releases) the drivers we provide as part of the Windows 
> > > Tools are not digitally signed with a publicly recognizable certificate."
> > 
> > Still doesn't answer that question either.
> 
> So long as you do not ask sufficiently specific questions that indicate why 
> that doesn't answer your question, I see little reason for you to demand a 
> dev's time. 

The question was perfectly stated, I was after a technical WHY, not an end-user 
WHY.


> > I said "hi devs" because I needed someone with the knowledge of WHY, not 
> > just an end user reason, but a dev description that is technical.
> Ask technical questions, you might get technical answers. All you do is ask 
> exceedingly generic questions that betray little technical background, given 
> that you don't seem to realize that you're asking insufficiently specific 
> questions to get the answers/attention you seek.
> 
> > > > What are the CPU/RAM requirements for running QWT Seamless Mode?
> > > As far as I can tell, they are no different. I myself generally assign 2 
> > > cores of a modern cpu + 1.2-2gb ram. Works well enough
> > 
> > That tells me nothing.
> please stop using all this hyperbole.
It was the FIRST sentence before the explanation.

> > That only tells me what you assign to a Windows Guest.
> > What it doesn't tell me is what the tools require in seamless mode, 
> > including but not limited to the Windows Guest and Dom0.
> 
> I'm sorry, but what I'm missing here is your explanation/indication as to 
> what you have already tried yourself, and why the information you seek could 
> not be retrieved by you installing a w7 VM, installing the tools, and 
> checking ram use in a running VM; and secondly, if you had indeed checked 
> that out before asking it here, why that information wasn't 
> useful/sufficiently informative to you.

That information doesn't tell me enough.
It doesn't tell me what it REQUIRES. It only tells me what it's using.
The devs would know what it requires.

Please, my questions are very specific.


> 
> > Further to that question being answered was... How many resources does it 
> > require per window that is converted to it's own display window?
> > Along with, Is there a big difference for requirements comparing 1440x900 
> > and 1920x1080 ?
> Again, please indicate why this information is important to you, in an age 
> where 16gb ram is easily achievable on any home pc. Also indicate what kind 
> of programs you wish to run, as I would think that some are rather more 
> demanding than others.

Dom0 has 4 GB RAM. I have dual GPUs.

I'm talking about running Windows.
I have asked questions before and got no answer, so I thought I'd ask a 
DIFFERENT WAY than what I normally do and provide information and then find out 
why such and such is going wrong.

IF you want to know that, just search for my posts regarding the Windows Tools.
They are hard to miss, there are enough of them.

> 
> > > > Why not have QWT be it's own GUI rather than explorer.exe, and also 
> > > > replace the login shell for windows?
> > > > Or is that something that would be difficult to do?
> > > I would assume so, yes.
> > 
> > You don't know, so you are not a dev?
> What's with these rhetorical questions? Did you mistake this for a 
> high-school debate class, and are you hoping to score "points"?

rhetorical question because it was there and available. Just pushing my point 
that he is not a dev, and the whole thing is directed at devs, so only devs OR 
people that know enough technical information should be answering.

> 
> > The thing is they are already separating the windows to make individual 
> > windows on Dom0, even though each of those are merely the overlapped 
> > windows in windows itself, and they remain overlapped in windows.
> > 
> > I am inquiring this in technical form so that I can further understand some 
> > things in regards to parts that I"m looking at at the moment. 
> again, this is way too vague.
> > 
> > While I do appreciate user involvement, I prefer you to not answer what you 
> > have no idea about, that keeps things clean and me not getting frustrated 
> > because an end user tries to answer a technical question that they have no 
> > idea about nor the knowledge of what is involved in such a task.
> 
> The reason I do not provide the answers you seek has much more to do with the 
> horrible lack of precision of those questions, than with anything relating to 
> me. If you cannot clarify what you want to know, AND make it clear to the 
> person who you are asking to spend time answering your questions that you 
> have sufficient expertise to appreciate the answer, I would respectfully 
> suggest that you don't hold your breath waiting for an answer, as you are not 
> likely to get it.

Well, if I don't make the questions more simple then they are too complex for 
people to understand, it is something I have not perfected and I know by 
simplifying questions they can become too generic.

But my questions are related to DEVS, so that defines a technical information 
requirement. Perhaps I should have been more explicit in that requirement?

> 
> > 
> > So please, refrain from answering my questions with details that don't 
> > answer anything. If the website had the information, I would not be asking.
> I would have, if that had been the case.
> 
> Anyway, I'll leave you to it from now. I hope that my reply helps you to 
> understand why you are not getting the answers you say you seek.

I should, when someone that knows the answers responds.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"qubes-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to qubes-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to qubes-users@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/bf2f01c7-21e7-448e-8994-cfaeb09d3918%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to