Houdini indie has alembic export, which you can then import into Octane
standalone.

From: Gerbrand Nel [mailto:nagv...@gmail.com]
Sent: 26 October 2015 12:15 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: OT:Houdini indie render solution

Thanks guys.. this is great info!!
I've been thinking about buying houdini base to do most of my work with 3rd
party renders, and then use indie with mantra if I need fx stuff.
This is still a very expensive solution, but I need a solution soon.
This week will be spent learning blender, and trying to get as much out of
houdini into blender.
Some of the guys at one of my clients were testing cycles vs redshift.. Weird
thing is, Cycles kicked redshifts butt on some of the tests, and was never much
slower on the rest.

Mantra is a strange beast. It seems like with enough tweaking, you can turn a 1
min render into a 4 hour render without seeing much difference in quality. Also
you can make a 4 hour render happen in 2 min with much better results.
Arnold spoiled me rotten :)
I'll also look into octane, so my limited verdict will be shared.
Thanks