NFPA 72 does not define “Area Coverage”.

However, they do define partial or selective coverage.
From NFPA 72, 2016 Handbook

17.5.3.2* Partial or Selective Coverage.   Where other governing laws, codes,
or standards require the protection of selected areas only, the specified areas
shall be protected in accordance with this Code.

A.17.5.3.2    If there are no detectors in the room or area of fire origin, the
fire could exceed the design objectives before being detected by remotely
located detectors. When coverage other than total coverage is required, partial
coverage can be provided in common areas and work spaces such as corridors,
lobbies, storage rooms, equipment rooms, and other tenantless spaces. The
intent of selective coverage is to address a specific hazard only.
Where a specific area is to be protected, all points within that area should be
within 0.7 × the adjusted detector spacing for spot-type detectors as required
by
17.6.3<http://codesonline.nfpa.org/a/c.ref/handbook_2016_ID072_chap17_72/sec>
and
17.7.3.2<http://codesonline.nfpa.org/a/c.ref/handbook_2016_ID072_chap17_145/sec>.
 Note that an area does not necessarily mean an entire room. It is possible to
provide properly spaced detectors to provide detection for only part of a room.
Similarly, the Code permits protection of a specific hazard. In that case,
detectors within a radius of 0.7 × the adjusted detector spacing from the
hazard provide the required detection. An example of protection of specific
risk is the smoke detector required by Section
21.3<http://codesonline.nfpa.org/a/c.ref/handbook_2016_ID072_chap21_20/sec> to
be within 21 ft (6.4 m) of an elevator, where elevator recall is required.
It should also be noted that fire detection by itself is not fire protection.
Also, protection goals could be such that detection being provided for a
specific area or hazard might require a form of total coverage for that
particular area or hazard. That is, it might be necessary to provide detectors
above suspended ceilings or in small closets and other ancillary spaces that
are a part of, or an exposure to, the area or hazard being protected.

72 also doesn’t mention anything about being Listed “FOR AREA PROTECTION”.
However, it does mention against using duct detectors as substitutes for open
area coverage.

17.7.4.3*    Detectors placed in environmental air ducts or plenums shall not
(Emphasis by me) be used as a substitute for open area detectors. Where
detectors are used for the control of smoke spread, the requirements of
17.7.5<http://codesonline.nfpa.org/NFPA/a/c.html/nfpa_72_hbk/handbook_2016_ID072_part1/part_one___i_nfpa_72_sup___x00ae___sup___national_fire_alarm_and_signaling_code__i___2016_edition__with_commentary__span__div_class__bookmarksec____div_#handbook_2016_ID072_chap17_207>
 shall apply. Where open area protection is required,
17.7.3<http://codesonline.nfpa.org/NFPA/a/c.html/nfpa_72_hbk/handbook_2016_ID072_part1/part_one___i_nfpa_72_sup___x00ae___sup___national_fire_alarm_and_signaling_code__i___2016_edition__with_commentary__span__div_class__bookmarksec____div_#handbook_2016_ID072_chap17_139>
 shall apply.
In most buildings, there are periods when the HVAC system is not moving
significant quantities of air from the compartments it serves. As a result, the
fire detection system cannot be designed to rely on the HVAC system operation
for the transport of smoke to smoke detectors.

A.17.7.4.3    Smoke might not be drawn into the duct or plenums when the
ventilating system is shut down. Furthermore, when the ventilating system is
operating, the detector(s) can be less responsive to a fire condition in the
room of fire origin due to dilution by clean air.

They both point out smoke dilution and delayed activation.

Kind Regards,

mike

Mike Henke CET
Sprinkler Product Manager

[cid:image001.jpg@01D21332.08789B20]

Potter Electric Signal Company, LLC
1609 Park 370 Place, St. Louis, MO 63042
phone: 800-325-3936   |   direct: 314-595-6740

mi...@pottersignal.com<mailto:mi...@pottersignal.com>   |
www.pottersignal.com<http://www.pottersignal.com/>