Ira,

Hello Gleason,

Monday, July 15, 2019, 10:55:48 AM, you wrote:

Gleason> So give The Bat a fair chance.  It is the best out there relatively.

I do give it a fair chance and I always upgrade, but that doesn't mean it's not
broken.  Personally, not one piece of software I've written has any known bugs.
I'm embarrassed when bugs get reported in my software and so I make them go
away. Sometimes for my embedded stuff that pays bills, at my expense, I jump on
an airplane to visit a customer or make new PC boards with a bunch of LEDs so
the customer can tell me where the problem happens. I'm not so generous for my
freeware, but I rarely let bugs last past the next day. I just couldn't live
with myself.  So when bugs in a program I pay for don't get resolved I tend to
think the either people at the top don't care or the people writing the code
aren't up to the task. But the Bat seem to be the best there is, so I tolerate
it's foibles.  But that makes it difficult to recommend.

Understood.  As you say, it is the best there is.  There is nothing else to
recommend, so don't prejudice potential users.

Email clients seem to be different from other kinds of software.  It takes 10
years or so to get a fairly decent client more or less done.
I say that because it seems to take that long.  For some, resources have run
out and they had to go away.  Mulberry was one of those.
As far as an imap design concept, I count it as the best there is (was).  But
the author couldn't sell enough to pay for what it would take to work
out problems on the code side.  I don't think he lacked for skill, since he was
in on the imap 4 development team.

Beyond that, email clients are falling into disuse.  Webmail, textmail on
phones, forums, etc are the new way.
And it was always difficult to charge a fair price for the work done, because
for one thing, you are competing
against all the free clients.

Another thing is that email clients developed by a lone worker seem to do less
well than those managed by a team.  The complexity
demanded seems to require that, and teams are a lot more expensive to maintain
and less willing to stick it through the lean times.

You do embedded work.  I bet you are paid well, and you can afford the luxury
of jumping on an airplane to fix somebody's problem.

--

Gleason