I'm not as convinced with Anki. Anki is already free, open-source, and
well-written. Your data may be kept in the cloud, but unless you're a spy
no one is going to be interested in your language study progress.

How about a bookmark app that you could take with you? Especially if it
were possible to capture and store small thumbprints of web-pages.

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/df335fce-a5b2-4ffe-90b0-06fd0ef330e2%40googlegroups.com.