Many good points Joe. I want NetBeans to stick around, it's better for
everyone if there are more options otherwise we're all forced to use "the
monopoly" in the market. I think capitalism has worked great for Windows, look
how many more software options you have compared to on Linux. Sure, they're
mostly not open source and you have to pay for them but that's the price of
having options and I think it's worth it because it keeps software competitive.
PS: I'm aware that I'm probably on the wrong mailing list right now
    On Wednesday, 7 March 2018, 15:08:37 GMT, José J. Rodriguez
<jose.rodrig...@cenpalab.cu> wrote:

 Ashton Hogan wrote:

> <snip> ... look at your
> competitor, intellij, they're winning because they're embracing
> capitalism and prosperity. They use licenses to profit and it's WORKING!
> Simple as that. Follow the policy and die or embrace capitalism and
> stick around. Truth hurts.

I think it's best if we all agree to disagree, and leave it at that...

I started off in java programming with Eclipse, but didn't quite grasp
it's working philosophy. Found Netbeans after that and jumped ship, it
was way more intuitive for me and somehow easier to work with. A new
member of my programming team was using Idea and slowly, others let
themselves be persuaded to the "benefits"of this IDE. They made me try
it out (since they had switched 2 of our projects to it), and I really
did try to like it, giving it my undivided attention for about a month.
However, I also never got it's working philosophy and things that were
natural to me in Netbeans, weren't so much in Idea.

My point, after a somewhat convoluted historical explanation, is that
IMHO, Idea has the prettier eye candy which lures away the kind of
people that tend to jump to Windows 10 and say they like the interface.
Also, I guess Google's decision to switch the Android development setup
from Eclipse to Idea probably had the biggest impact on it's current
popularity. Eclipse, on the other hand, has a huge ecosystem that seems
to cater more to the hard-core programmers, so I see it as a more direct
"competitor" to our Netbeans.

And talking about enterprise use of a certain software, what that really
requires is mostly a good payed support system, not really a software
sales system.

Anyway, it seems to me that "capitalism" has actually proven not to be a
good role model for software development, see Windows bugs and backdoors
vs. Linux security, see Apache httpd, mysql (before and after
acquisition by Oracle), postgreSQL and lots more examples...

Just my 2 cents on the thread...

Joe1962