On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 5:56 PM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 February 2014 22:03, Galileo Vidoni <gali...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We remain convinced that something is fundamentally wrong when its
> > practical result is self-inflicting the highest possible loss of
> contents.
> > And we remain convinced that there is space for a way more prudent
> > implementation of URAA that prevents deleting educational resources until
> > there is complete copyright information and no legal alternative, which
> > our understanding (and to our interpretation of WMF's communications) can
> > mean waiting for DMCA takedown notices.
>

> This is the essential point of the problem:
>
> * Commons has a long-running attitude of absolute copyright paranoia,
> so that no reuser will ever be put in legal danger. This is extremely
> unlikely to change, and particularly not with what the Commons
> community perceive as outside intruders (rather than e.g. its main
> users) coming in to question it.
> * Commons policy is, here, being directly damaging to the projects who
> are its main users.
>
> At this point, Commons policy constitutes damage and needs to be worked
> around.
>
> Note that this implies no bad faith or bad actions on the part of
> Commons admins; just that Commons' aims are increasingly incompatible
> with the rest of the movement.
>

> - d.

I was going to just repeat the point that any community that wants a more
liberal interpretation of the rules can host its own images, but then I
thought through the implications of that... Sure, the individual projects
would have more liberty than they do relying on Commons, but if each
community hives off its uploading then the meta community no longer
benefits from that work.

Which led to the thought that hey, what we really need is a meta-project
for hosting images that is *explicitly* intended to serve the other
projects. We tried this before, right? But maybe this time we make the
meta-project a technical implementation without its own community, where
local uploads can be toggled to make files globally available without
giving some global intermediary the right to turn that toggle off.