Title: Message

<snip>
You seem to be taking this beyond what anyone has stated.  There may
be those that say the things that you claim above, however what you
said was that "...preference of one's own traffic...is not that much
different than..." and you went on to show a link to a story that
was NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same thing.  That is what I was pointing
out.

</snip>

For some reason, I am getting a feeling that thread may be going beyond "topic debate" to "personal attacks" -- so I will restate my original point (which I may not have been completely clear on b/c this is a topic that I have been thinking of / examining for quite some time now, and things that seem obviously clear to me may not be so for a casual observer)

Read the following article and tell me what you think
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2005/12/13/telecoms_want_their_products_to_travel_on_a_faster_internet/?page=full

Now, Look back at the original topic of debate and ask yourself the following question...is there REALLY a distinction between the "prioritization" and/or "discrimination (or blocking taken to the Nth degree) of certain types of Internet packets?  If you think about it, prioritizing "certain my preferred packets" across my physical network is really no different than discriminating (depreferencing or blocking) my competitors -- in fact, the Network Neutrality (free love, etc) camp would argue that "allowing" certain providers to pay for prioritized / privilege access is extortion.

The topic of debate that I  am addressing is the argument between "it's my @[EMAIL PROTECTED] network so I can do whatever I want" vs. "the Internet is a free and open medium or Network Neutrality).

The it's my @[EMAIL PROTECTED] network argument

SBC started it, now BellSouth is getting into the act. Two articles (1, 2) highlight comments made by William L. Smith, CTO of BellSouth, about how he’d really like to be able to charge internet companies for priority access to his network and customers.

A senior telecommunications executive said yesterday that Internet service providers should be allowed to strike deals to give certain Web sites or services priority in reaching computer users, a controversial system that would significantly change how the Internet operates.

William L. Smith, chief technology officer for Atlanta-based BellSouth Corp., told reporters and analysts that an Internet service provider such as his firm should be able, for example, to charge Yahoo Inc. for the opportunity to have its search site load faster than that of Google Inc.

Or, Smith said, his company should be allowed to charge a rival voice-over-Internet firm so that its service can operate with the same quality as BellSouth’s offering.

Network Neutrality Broadband Challenge

Network Neutrality is the concept that network operators provide free and non-discriminatory transport on their networks between the endpoints of the Internet. This has been a basic concept and function of the Internet since it was invented, and is adopted by the FCC in these four principles to ensure that broadband networks are widely deployed, open, affordable and accessible to all consumers:

1. Consumers are entitled to access the lawful Internet content of their choice;
2. Consumers are entitled to run applications and services of their choice, subject to the needs of law enforcement;
3. Consumers are entitled to connect their choice of legal devices that do not harm the network; and
4. Consumers are entitled to competition among network providers, application and service providers, and content providers.

Now, lets open the floor for discussion...

-Charles

CWLab
Technology Architects
http://www.cwlab.com