The problem here Mac is that for the bells to be able to provide the information to the FBI they are going to have to be able to tie that IP address to an individual (your customer) so in the best case scenario you will have to keep track of what IP is mapped to which customer for any given time frame (I know this is an issue for some). In the worst case scenario you are the Bells will do it for you.

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless

Mac Dearman wrote:
Lonnie,

  When I used the term "piss ant" it was referring to the working guys of
this business. We all know how the ants work :-) doggedly for a small
portion of the whole.

 Once again, I think its ridiculous to even think that the Feds would allow
us - or put on us - - the responsibility of keeping those records. I really
will go one step further than that and say that it is not possible! Look at
it this way:
   Why would you sop the water off the ground with a sponge and then wring
the sponge out in the bucket when you could catch it in the bucket at the
spigot before it runs out all over the Country? I know my fiber connection
is tied in directly to Shreveport, Louisiana - - - and so is every other
facility in N. Louisiana that has fiber including all the DSL where its
dumped into the fiber at the Telco CO's.
  I don't really have an awful lot of faith in our Government, but even a
simple mind like mine can see that we aren't ever going to be faced with
that responsibility. There are a bunch of renegades (like me) out here who
already are at odds with the Government and do you think they are going to
trust me (and others like me) to gather, maintain and retain that type data
when they have folks (just one or two hops upstream from all of us) who can
be held responsible and own the spigot we pull from? I just can't see
how/why anyone would wait till the end of the pipe where it goes out to
50,000 distribution points when they (once again) can catch it all at one
facility. It seems like a "no brainer" to me.

ME SMUG? HA! That makes me smile :-)

Mac Dearman