Al, Either you're getting better concealing your sarcasm or this last post was really sincere.
Since I prefer sincerity to sarcasm I'll assume it is sincere; and in that case I have some changes to make to my last post: - change 'command' to 'invite' - change '100 Bodhisattva Vows and 500 bows' to 'just sit' - change 'send a small donation to PayPal' to 'post more frequently' - change 'Your Personal Guru' to 'Your friend' Don't get me wrong, I do like sarcasm at times and think yours in some of the best. Don't abandon it altogether. Use it when you think it's called for, like when we're getting too pompous and babbling on about things which really don't make a difference - which is probably most of the time. If you really want something to chant, try the 4 Bodhisattva vows. A Bodhisattva is an enlightened being who has elected to forgo Nirvana in order to stay in the world to help others become enlightened. I'm reminded of these vows every time I fly and the uniformed Bodhisattva's who attend the flight remind me to 'remember to put on your own oxygen mask before attempting to help those around you'. This is a clear reference to Hinayana Buddhism (putting on your own oxygen mask first), and then Mahayana Buddhism (then help others). Getting off the plane is going to Nirvana. Extending this analogy, zen is realizing that after all, one place is not any better than another; THERE is not better than HERE, and in fact there is no HERE/THERE duality - so there is no need to be on the plane in the first place. Here are the 4 Bodhisattva vows I know: - Sentient beings are numberless, I vow to save them. - Desires are inexhaustible, I vow to put an end to them. - Dharmas are boundless, I vow to master them. - The Buddha way in unsurpassable, I vow to attain it. ...or something like these. There are many different translations. Google 'bodhisattva vows' or check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva_vows. This version is the one I learned, but it might not be the best one since I've chanted at the end of every one of my zazen sessions for over 40 years and I'm still not a Bodhisattva! Still sitting and chanting, and happily hyperventilating oxygen - Your Friend...Bill! From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:17 PM To: [email protected] Subject: Re: [Zen] Test of Character <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:I command you to chant 100 Bodhisattva Vows and do 500 bows. > I am going to do that. What is a good vow to chant? By the way Bill, if it was not for you and a couple of other folks (but mostly you), I would have given up on this group a long time ago. Hopeful to get back into zazen and then I can give up on this group for a good reason. __________ NOD32 3367 (20080819) Information __________ This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system. http://www.eset.com ------------------------------------ Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
