Al,

Either you're getting better concealing your sarcasm or this last post was
really sincere.

Since I prefer sincerity to sarcasm I'll assume it is sincere; and in that
case I have some changes to make to my last post:

- change 'command' to 'invite'
- change '100 Bodhisattva Vows and 500 bows' to 'just sit'
- change 'send a small donation to PayPal' to 'post more frequently'
- change 'Your Personal Guru' to 'Your friend'

Don't get me wrong, I do like sarcasm at times and think yours in some of
the best.  Don't abandon it altogether.  Use it when you think it's called
for, like when we're getting too pompous and babbling on about things which
really don't make a difference - which is probably most of the time.

If you really want something to chant, try the 4 Bodhisattva vows.  A
Bodhisattva is an enlightened being who has elected to forgo Nirvana in
order to stay in the world to help others become enlightened.  I'm reminded
of these vows every time I fly and the uniformed Bodhisattva's who attend
the flight remind me to 'remember to put on your own oxygen mask before
attempting to help those around you'.  This is a clear reference to Hinayana
Buddhism (putting on your own oxygen mask first), and then Mahayana Buddhism
(then help others).  Getting off the plane is going to Nirvana.  Extending
this analogy, zen is realizing that after all, one place is not any better
than another; THERE is not better than HERE, and in fact there is no
HERE/THERE duality - so there is no need to be on the plane in the first
place.

Here are the 4 Bodhisattva vows I know:

 - Sentient beings are numberless, I vow to save them.
 - Desires are inexhaustible, I vow to put an end to them.
 - Dharmas are boundless, I vow to master them.
 - The Buddha way in unsurpassable, I vow to attain it.

...or something like these.  There are many different translations.  Google
'bodhisattva vows' or check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva_vows. This version is the one I
learned, but it might not be the best one since I've chanted at the end of
every one of my zazen sessions for over 40 years and I'm still not a
Bodhisattva!

Still sitting and chanting, and happily hyperventilating oxygen - Your
Friend...Bill!