Bill,

Some good points. One comment. Actually I think the idea of chanting even if the words are in your language is to repeat something so many times that its rational meaning disappears, one stops thinking about the meaning, and only the sounds remain, so that the intention is as you suggest to subtract rational thought from consciousness. So I don't see any real disagreement between your and Jody's approach. As you say it is whatever works.

Edgar