Jody,   You are right.  The whole is the universal consciousness.  All
practices leads to "sync" us with the whole.  While someone like Edgar,
may analysis, theorize, understand, so called consciousness (just a
label), or chanting or breathing (just a dharma), surrender all minds,
big or small, rational or otherwise, is the quickest way to be synced
with "whole".   Every which other way could be a detour or incomplete.   JM