Hi Jue Miao,
Yes, everything needed is present at every moment (though your
terminology 'within us' is incorrect since it implies a self). The
only question is how best to realize that. Your emails are your
approach to that as mine are mine. Intellectual understanding is
useful primarily as it helps to recognize and avoid modes of thought
which interfere with realization, but as you say intellectual
understanding in itself is not realization, it is merely the finger,
not the moon.
Best,
Edgar
On Aug 30, 2008, at 3:32 AM, Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺妙精明 wrote:
Hi Edgar, Is there a need to "understand" what is "pure" and what is
"consciousness"? Don't we already had everything within us? Originally
pure. Originally sufficient. Originally unmovable. JM
Edgar Owen wrote:
>
> Jue Miao,
>
>
> Of course direct experience not words is real Zen. That in fact is
> what my papers all say though apparently you haven't read them. On
> this group however we have to use words to communicate. The question
> then becomes which words are more effective in eliciting or pointing
> at direct experience? That of course will be different for different
> people and different circumstances. By understanding what pure
> consciousness really is and what keeps us from directly experiencing
> it we can move beyond words to the direct experience itself.
>
> Edgar
>
>
>
> On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺妙精明
wrote:
>
>> Jody, You are right. The whole is the universal consciousness. All
>> practices leads to "sync" us with the whole. While someone like
Edgar,
>> may analysis, theorize, understand, so called consciousness (just a
>> label), or chanting or breathing (just a dharma), surrender all
minds,
>> big or small, rational or otherwise, is the quickest way to be
synced
>> with "whole". Every which other way could be a detour or
incomplete. JM
>>
>> Jody W. Ianuzzi wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello Bill,
>> >
>> > As much as I appreciate the Soto Zen methods of meditation, I
am also
>> > curious about the Tibetan methods of focusing on an image of
>> > compassion and
>> > moving towards it. I will use both methods at different times.
>> >
>> > The chant I use is OM MANI PADME HUM. I found that when I
learned it's
>> > meaning I appreciated it more. I think that using this chant
is like
>> > counting breaths, it keeps your mind from jumping around.
>> >
>> > As I first discovered Buddhism I thought I had to pick which
was best,
>> > now I
>> > feel that Buddhism is Buddhism and all the ways are the same.
It's all
>> > part
>> > of the whole.
>> >
>> > I just appreciate learning something new every day.
>> > JODY
>> >
>> > JODY
>> >
>> >
>>
>
>