Mike,

Of course the satori experiences reported in the Zen accounts will happen to monks who have practiced zazen. After all these are internal accounts of ONLY zen monks so we would not expect otherwise.

As for satori being detrimental to someone who hadn't practiced zazen for many years I'd say that is total sect oriented nonsense. You must have a strange idea of satori as some sort of psychological or psychedelic experience that some people just can't handle without preparation for the 'trip'. Couldn't be further from the truth. Satori is simply seeing things as they actually are and relating to things on that basis. If you get there you are able to 'handle' it. It's not anything at all like going off on a bad drug trip and ending up in a mental ward.....

Edgar

On Sep 15, 2008, at 8:26 PM, mike brown wrote:

Hi Edgar,
Again, in an ultimate sense I agree with you. Most satori experiences occur off the mat (we cannot determine when they happen so they are a kind of 'Grace', if you like), but for most people these experiences are usually preceded by many years of zazen and rarely occur independently from it (especially in relation to the past Zen masters). In fact, I would add that to receive a satori like experience without already practicing zazen could be detrimental to one's spiritual growth because you would probably not have the 'tools' to be able to integrate the experience into your daily life. I don't completely advocate the 'aching legs' school of Zen Buddhism (see Alan Watts), but as Bill says, I don't see any better way to recognising our inherent enlightenment. Mike.

----- Original Message ----
From: Edgar Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 16 September, 2008 6:16:26
Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: Antwort: JUDO

Hi Mike,

When you read the accounts of enlightenment in Zen stories, the enlightenment or satori experience almost never occurs during zazen, but almost always in daily life doing something ordinary, though often in response to some event or words that suddenly enables them to see beyond the ordinary to the ordinary.

Only difference between zazen and daily life is you are (hopefully) dealing with fewer forms so might be easier to see the formless beyond the forms, but the formless is always present whether you are sitting in zazen or not. Just a matter of experiencing it.

Edgar