Edgar,

This is a very good point!

Please forgive me for butting in, but...

  It was a samurai's duty to be prepared for the fight. I'm not sure
of how many samurai's were actually zen 'masters', but it is my
understanding that they practiced zen as part of their training.
Being trained in their skill did not mean they were "planning" ahead
of time how they would react to a certain situation. They were not
to anticipate or worry about what might happen. It meant that they
would be able to precisely act from Buddha Nature to the situation
at hand. The combat training gave them the fighting skills, and the
zen training gave them the ability to implement those skills without
the "fear" of death or other "thoughts" that may hinder their
fighting ability. In the Zone, so to speak. This is the theory as I
see it anyway.

  Again, sorry for jumping into your discussion. I'm sure Bill will
have a much better response.

Thank You,

Chris

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgaro...@...> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> The samurai prepares for such a situation in advance. Do you claim
he
> can't then act from Buddha Nature when the time comes? Just the
> opposite, by preparing his body is tuned to act as it needs in
the
> moment far more efficiently than if he had not trained.
>
> Edgar
>

> On Jan 15, 2009, at 10:22 AM, <billsm...@...> wrote:
>
> > Anthony,
> >
> > I will try to answer your question which I assume is: 'What
would
> > you do if confronted with someone who was threatening your life?"
> >
> > I can absolutely truthfully say that I don't know what I'd do.
If I
> > knew what I would do then that means I would have thought it
all
> > out ahead of time, and then it would me Bill! acting and not
Buddha