Jody:

Why did you hate yourself?.  Where did you learnt to hate yourself?.  It sounds
as a very extreme negative emotion to have towards oneself. Very glad to hear
that the readings of the Dalai Lama helped you to overcome the hatred for
yourself.

Thanks for writing
Mayka

*Let's use an example.  My father and children at school used to make fun of my
butt.  They would call me bubble butt, because my butt protrudes out further
than most.  This was the era where Brooke Shields was the great beauty and she
had no butt, and not much of a figure. Just straight.

*I was so obsessed with my butt, and hated my body so much, that when I could
afford it, at age 35 I had liposuction.  But liposuction does mostly the sides
of the butt and not the protruding part, which is mostly muscle.  Even now, I
am
grateful that I do not have the kind of butt I used to have, and no longer have
to be ashamed of it anymore.

*Then, of course, comes along Beyonce Knowles and Jennifer Lopez with huge
butts, and suddenly butts are all popular!  I am so happy now that I have the
butt I have, because now it's socially acceptable.

*But yes, that is self hatred to a degree where you are paying someone to cut
into your body and remove your flesh.

*I think other women, the rate of getting breast augmentation is very high.
They
feel they are not like women, because their breasts are not huge, and so, go
out
and get breasts as soon as they are able, like 18, before they've even had a
chance to fill in.  I knew a woman like this. She was obsessed with her small
breasts, finally got her breast augmentation which she said was more painful
than childbirth but now is happy as she is a 36C.

*I think women are taught to hate themselves, in the US, starting at around
ages
8 - 10.

Best,
Ari