Chris,

I wholeheartedly agree with you that thoughts about zen can be the most
bothersome.

…Bill!

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
ChrisAustinLane
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 12:55 AM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Questions, questions, question

When I read a lot of Zen Enlightenment stuff, I find my sitting is then filled
up with what i label Zen thoughts - thoughts that attempt to portray themselves
as wisdom or as "good Zen experiences."

I personally find those to be even more obscuring than the non-Zen thoughts
about various imagined harms that others have prepared for me, so I generally
take their appearance to be a signal to read less and sit more.

I haven't ever tried a month of no reading (tho I am scrupulous to not bring
books on a sesshin), and in fact the enlightenment story in the Three Pillars
of Zen where this (childless) couple went on a word fast leaves a continuing
sense of horror in me. In the midst of confusion and chaos, that's it for me.

Thanks,

Chris Austin-Lane

Sent from a cell phone

On Oct 30, 2010, at 8:14, "ED" <seacrofter...@! yahoo.com
<mailto:seacrofter...@yahoo.com> > wrote:

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Bill... wrote:

> You are correct that you shouldn't form an attachment to either your own
> experience or intellectual knowledge - but it is important to note that the
> experience, even its memory, is your experience;

> whereas whatever you read or are taught is at best the 2nd- or 3rd-hand
> account of someone else's experience, and at worst the inaccurate or
> fictional account of someone else's experience.

Bill,

When one reads, it is not necessarily to 'learn', but also and especially to
awaken one's own intrinic wisdom-mind, no?

> I'd advise you to value your own experience more than the account of someone
> else's.
>
> ...Bill!

One must 'value' the accounts of others only if one oneself resonates with
them, no?

database 5576 (20101029) __________