Ed,

My responses are embedded below:

[Ed} When one reads, it is not necessarily to 'learn', but also and
especially to awaken one's own intrinic wisdom-mind, no?
[Bill!]  I assume by 'intrinic [sic] wisdom-mind' you mean 'Buddha Mind' or
'Original Mind'.  If that's so, then I disagree with you - at least that's
not why I read.  I read to gain knowledge.  I read the same reason I am on
this forum and why I discuss things with other people.  I want to hear about
their experience, what they think and what they believe.  This does not
'awaken' my Buddha Mind.   In fact if anything these intellectual activities
might serve to further obscure it.  That would happen if I started forming
attachments to what I'm reading or have read.  To manifest Buddha Mind I
only have to DO nothing, I just have to BE.

[Ed] One must 'value' the accounts of others only if one oneself resonates
with them, no?
[Bill!] I used the word 'value' in my previous post.  Perhaps that was a bad
word.  What I meant to say is that experience is everything and the only
thing you have.  When you have a direct experience, like tasting a grape,
you have that experience.  When you read someone's else's account of tasting
a grape, you experience READING ABOUT tasting a grape - you do not
experience tasting a grape.  Both the experience of tasting a grape and the
experience of reading about tasting a grape have equal value in and of
themselves.

database 5576 (20101029) __________