  From: ED
  To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:14 PM
  Subject: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas

  --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Lluís Mendieta <lme...@...> wrote:

  > Hi, Ed
  > Anyway, if hungarians and finnish speak same branch of language, and they
are not related genetically

  > a) something is missing in study
  > b) language has nothing to do with population origin

  > With best wishes,

  > Lluis

  Hi Lluis,

  a) There is almost always something missing from any hypothesis concerning
language origins.

  b) Language has much to do with population origins, but there are other
factors too, like conquests, migrations, bottlenecks, etc., etc.

  > With best wishes
  >
  > --ED

  Note (1):

        Hungarian language

        Closeup view of a Hungarian keyboard
        Alphabet
        õ û
        cs · dz · dzs · gy
        ly · ny · sz · ty · zs
        Grammar
        Noun phrases · Verbs
        T-V distinction
        History
        Sound correspondences with
        other Uralic languages
        Other features
        Phonetics and phonology
        Vowel harmony

        Orthography
        (Old Hungarian script)
        Hungarian names
        Tongue-twisters
        Hungarian and English
        Hungarian pronunciation of English
        English words from Hungarian
        Regulatory body
        v . d . e

  Hungarian (magyar nyelv) is a Uralic language in the Ugric language group,
distantly related to Finnish, Estonian and a number of other minority languages
spoken in the Baltic states and northern European Russia eastward into central
Siberia. Finno-Ugric languages are not related to the Indo-European languages
that dominate Europe but have acquired loan words from them.

  Note (2)

  Finnish is a member of the Baltic-Finnic subgroup of the Finno-Ugric group of
languages which in turn is a member of the Uralic family of languages. The
Baltic-Finnic subgroup also includes Estonian and other minority languages
spoken around the Baltic Sea.

  Finnish demonstrates an affiliation with the Uralic languages in several
respects including:

    a.. Shared morphology: ...
    a.. Shared basic vocabulary displaying regular sound correspondences with
the other Uralic languages.
  Several theories exist as to the geographic origin of Finnish and the other
Uralic languages, but the most widely held view is that they originated as a
Proto-Uralic language somewhere in the boreal forest belt around the Ural
Mountains region and/or the bend of the middle Volga. The strong case for
Proto-Uralic is supported by common vocabulary with regularities in sound
correspondences, as well as by the fact that the Uralic languages have many
similarities in structure and grammar.

  The Finns are more genetically similar to their Indo-European speaking
neighbors than to the speakers of the geographically close Finno-Ugric
language, Sami. It has been argued that a native Finnic-speaking population
therefore absorbed northward migrating Indo-European speakers who adopted the
Finnic language, giving rise to the modern Finns."

  Note (3)

  The relationship between Fuinnish and Hungarian languagges

  http://www.histdoc.net/sounds/hungary.html