> When you say "Update Your Code", are you saying using <cfqueryparam>? But
> even so, the SQL injection still will use up countless resources instead of
> cutting it off early. So, go back and fix 1,000's of lines of code I have
> developed over the last 'upteen' years or stop it before it starts? Is this
> something new to CF8 or just a necessary evil because of SQL Injection
> Attacks.

Essentially, yes, code should be using cfqueryparam and other secure
coding methods to keep the baddies out.  The resources will get used
either way, really.  You can either rely on a filter up-front and use up
CPU cycles regardless of whether a user is legitimate or not, or even
whether or not a query is being run in the page or not, etc.  Or, you
can implement cfqueryparam where appropriate and only use those cycles
where they're needed, and you'll get the added benefit of prepared
statements on the SQL Server in most cases and the queries will run
slightly faster as a result.  Either way you go, protect yourself and
your clients.

SQL injection attacks have been around since before I got started in web
development, and secure coding against them has been a best practice
just as long.  I remember updating "old" CF code I inherited way back
when I was using ColdFusion 4, so it's certainly nothing new.

It's unfortunate that you haven't seen this in practice until now, but
it really is something you should be doing.  It's been my observation
over the years that web programmers in general (not just limited to
ColdFusion) tend to learn about security only when there is a breach of
some kind, and then have to scramble to learn under fire.  Just as an
example, how many out there run e-commerce applications and have never
heard of PCI-DSS?

I'm not picking on you specifically, David, so please don't think I'm
calling you out or anything.  I'm always learning new things myself, but
we web developers need to collectively get more educated about the risks
and threats we face and alter our practice accordingly.

-Justin Scott