I worry about the precedent we'd set if we made an exception for Debian,
because the next question would be "OK, can we have an exception for Red
Hat, too?" Keep in mind Red Hat currently sells up to fourteen years of
support for their RHEL platform.

So I think it's best to recognize that:

People who just want to use Django, and choose to prioritize long-lived
stable operating-system distributions, will get a supported version of
Django from their operating-system vendor (and the vendor will maintain
that version of Django for the length of the vendor's support period). They
don't get to use newer versions of Django that drop support for their
vendor's default Python version, but they've already made the choice to
prioritize stability rather than access to new versions, and this is the
consequence of the choice.

People who want to contribute to Django probably already need to solve the
problem of having multiple Python versions installed, since we don't have
any releases that are tied to only one version of Python. So they need to
use something other than their system's default Python no matter what, and
dropping support for an older system Python doesn't add any complications
to their workflow.

So I don't think we should make an exception for Debian, or any other
long-lived distributions.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAL13Cg8Kccb0p0pySci1cWxHYB7RrWFV%3DmX-HwULk%2B3FEVkrgA%40mail.gmail.com.