Bruce,

What an awful situation. I hope you won't give up after all the planning and expense you have gone to this far. There must be an organization that can help you with this. Wouldn't the VA have paperwork that would show your citizenship? What about a new SS card from:
https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/#issnrc
Looks like you have 30 days for the car license, 90 days for the driver's license, some time to work on it.
https://www.dmv.com/tx/texas/drivers-license

As good at searching as you are I expect you have already found all of this but possibly you have been too busy with all the hassle.

Good luck.
Gail