EVLN news status: the EV news items all but have dried up/reduced to a
trickle during the holidays. That Musk piece sums up how despondent the
media is right now about plugins. Which is great for the ton of h2 items
(still pushing fcvs).

My status: stable (I have lodging) but worrisome (I'm not legal) ...

It seems the two different TX gov. offices that handle TX driver's lic &
vehicle regstration need more paperwork to prove I am a US citizen and
worthy of a TX lic. The dated 2013 link below is similar to my current
experiences:

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/opinion/2013/05/13/easy-on-regulation-not-in-texas-drivers-license-bureaus
May 13, 2013  ... This state (TX) makes things so hard, it almost feels as
if they don’t want me to have a Texas driver's license. Which doesn’t make
any sense. After all, it’s in everybody’s best interest for me to be "on the
books." ... It's ignorance masquerading as get-tough policy ...

I have to make a few calls to see if I can get what is needed from CA
remotely (USPS mailed to a $65 UPS mailing address I bought). I also want to
try to get an unofficial vehicle inspection so I know how much it will cost
for what I am sure they will find that does not allow it to pass.

My options are:
-to keep slugging it out, and hopefully I can get these issues resolved
before my ability to legally drive on the road expires ...

-scrap out my drive-able CA vehicle and buy a pre-inspected TX registered
used vehicle ...

-or go back to CA, likely residing near the Fresno VA hospital, so I can be
legal and get things resolved/figured out.

The last one seems a shame, as I like where I am (friendly people,
affordable living, slower AG-rural pace, +more). But if TX sez no, then I
got to go (return).

I thought I had done all my homework to prepare for this, but the items I
need were not mentioned on their TX dmv website (maybe I had a senior moment
and missed something?). And even at the vehicle registration office they
mentioned somethings I need to have/get done for the driver's lic, that the
TX dmv office did not mention (both of them are state run gov. agencies).
Yuup it is a challenge, alright.

It is all rather disappointing,depressing to think I am not alone in how
hard this is to become a legal Texan.

I'll try to end this on a (hopefully) humorous note.
As I was approaching El Paso, TX, I-10 slowed and narrowed for a homeland
security inspection. I rolled down my driver's side window, as the
Latino-american officer walked up & glanced at my front ca lic plate. With a
confused expression, I asked, I'm still in Texas aren't I?
He said, yes ... Then he asked me if I was a U.S. citizen(?)
I showed him my ca driver's license, and said, "You Betcha!"
He smirk-grinned looking at me a little longer, and then said you can go,
waving me off ...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/you-betcha
you-betcha

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use: